Monday, May 9, 2011

Romance for married people

Remember the early 'honeymoon" days with your spouse? The days when everything about them made you feel giddy and have butterflies in your stomach? The romantic dinners for two, bubble baths by candle light, late night talks after hours of making love? Ahh those were the days......


Fast forward 5, 10, 15 years and what do you get? You've looked at the same person every morning for what feels like an eternity. The feeling in your stomach no longer feels like butterflies, now it feels like gas from a quickly thrown together dinner. The only talks you do have are about bills, kids, or work to which are mostly answered in grunts or monosyllables. And those late night intimacies have turned into him falling asleep in the recliner, snoring so loudly you can't even hear yourself think much less hear the show you're trying to watch, which leads to you thinking of ways to "harmlessly" make the snoring stop.

So what does romance consist of now? For me it's when my hubby remembers to put the toilet seat down, when he takes out the trash without me "nagging" him to do it, or when he orders pizza on Mother's Day so that I don't have to cook or clean up. It's when he pours out his favorite soda just so that I can have the crushed ice that's in it. (Oh how I love crushed ice!) It's when one of my favorite shirts of my daughters' gets a hole in it and he cuts out the picture, frames it, and gives it to me as an early Mother's Day present. My husband laughs at me for finding these things sweet and romantic. Don't get me wrong, I still want a few late night dinners for two every year, and at least occasional talks in the dark, but at the end of the day, it's the little things that make the romance for married people.
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment